Ensuring the safety and security of our homes is a top priority for all property owners. With the rise of smart technology and innovative solutions, it’s now easier than ever to protect our homes from potential threats. This blog post will discuss the various preventive measures property owners can take to safeguard their homes, including the use of smart technology and other innovative solutions.
Preventive Measures for Home Safety and Security
- Secure doors and windows: The first line of defense against intruders is to ensure that all doors and windows are secure. This includes installing deadbolt locks, reinforcing door frames, and using window security film to prevent shattering. It’s noted that 34% of burglars enter homes directly through the front door.
- Install a security system: A security system can act as a deterrent to potential intruders and provide peace of mind for homeowners. There are a variety of options available, ranging from traditional alarm systems to more advanced smart security systems.
- Outdoor lighting: A well-lit exterior can deter criminals from targeting your home. Consider installing motion-activated lights or smart lighting systems that can be controlled remotely.
- Landscaping: Keep shrubbery and trees trimmed to eliminate potential hiding spots for burglars. Additionally, consider planting thorny bushes near windows to discourage intruders from attempting to break in.
- Get to know your neighbors: Establishing a sense of community and communication with your neighbors can be beneficial for home security. Neighbors can keep an eye on your property when you are away and alert you to any suspicious activity.
Smart Technology Solutions for Home Security
- Smart locks: These devices allow you to lock and unlock your doors remotely using a smartphone app. Some smart locks can even be integrated with your home security system, allowing you to monitor who is entering and exiting your home.
- Video doorbells: A video doorbell allows you to see and communicate with anyone at your front door using a smartphone app. This can help you screen visitors and deter potential intruders.
- Smart cameras: Installing smart cameras around your property can provide you with live video feeds that can be monitored remotely. Some cameras also offer motion detection and can send alerts to your phone if any suspicious activity is detected.
- Smart alarms: A smart alarm system can be controlled remotely and can send notifications to your phone in the event of a break-in. Some systems can even be integrated with other smart devices in your home, such as smart locks and cameras.
- Home automation: Integrating your home security system with other smart devices can create a more comprehensive security solution. For example, you can set up your smart lights to turn on when your security camera detects motion or have your smart lock automatically lock your doors when your alarm system is armed.
Implementing some, if not all, of these kinds of smart technology solutions for your property can cut down the chances that you fall victim to a burglary or home invasion. Additionally, you get peace of mind, and the ability to control your property remotely, and you can potentially even get some home insurance discounts by adopting these systems. In a recent study of convicted burglars done by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 60% of convicted burglars stated that they would seek an alternate burglary target after seeing there was a home alarm system on a property. Likewise, nearly 60% of that same surveyed group said they would consider the presence of cameras or other video equipment when selecting a burglary target.
In conclusion, there are numerous preventive measures and smart technology solutions available to help property owners ensure the safety and security of their homes. Moatkeeper can help you keep track of your home technology and its maintenance. By implementing these strategies, you can create a more secure environment for you and your family.